{"id":53377,"date":"2026-08-21T08:27:51","date_gmt":"2026-08-21T02:42:51","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/?p=53377"},"modified":"2026-08-21T08:27:51","modified_gmt":"2026-08-21T02:42:51","slug":"uk-france-germany-italy-and-canada-condemn-israels-west-bank-settlement-project","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/uk-france-germany-italy-and-canada-condemn-israels-west-bank-settlement-project\/","title":{"rendered":"UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel&#8217;s West Bank settlement project"},"content":{"rendered":"<div style=\"margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;\" class=\"sharethis-inline-share-buttons\" ><\/div><p><strong>BBC:<\/strong> Israel&#8217;s plans to open up tenders for the construction of some 1,200 settlement homes in a strategically important part of the occupied West Bank have sparked fresh condemnation by major Western powers.<\/p>\n<p>In a joint statement, the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada called the decision &#8220;unacceptable&#8221; and urged Israel to &#8220;retract the plans immediately&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p>All settlements are illegal under international law and, under international pressure, Israel held off for decades on plans to build in E1 to the east of Jerusalem.<\/p>\n<p>Many of its allies and Palestinians argued this development would deal a major blow to hopes of a two-state solution, effectively cutting the West Bank in two and isolating east Jerusalem.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;At a time of grave instability in the West Bank with unprecedented levels of violence by settlers against civilians, and serious restrictions on the Palestinian economy, this decision is even more concerning,&#8221; the statement from the European allies and Canada published on Thursday said.<\/p>\n<p>&#8220;Not only will they [the plans] take us further from peace, but they further undermine Israel&#8217;s international standing,&#8221; the statement added.<\/p>\n<p>In a separate statement, the UN secretary general also said the E1 plan posed an &#8220;existential threat&#8221; to a contiguous Palestinian state &#8211; and so did Belgium&#8217;s foreign minister.<\/p>\n<p>UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband&#8217;s condemnation earlier on Thursday had drawn &#8220;ouright&#8221; rejection by the Israeli foreign minister.<\/p>\n<p>Despite an Israeli court challenge to the plans by Bedouin Palestinians living in the area and Israeli peace groups, on Wednesday the Israeli housing ministry issued a tender for 1,234 of the 3,401 housing units approved by the Israeli government last August.<\/p>\n<p>It covers about 12 sq km (4.6 sq miles) between East Jerusalem and the settlement of Maale Adumim.<\/p>\n<p>At the time of their unveiling, Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich &#8211; an ultranationalist and settler &#8211; said the idea of a Palestinian state was &#8220;being erased&#8221;.<\/p>\n<p>The deadline for bids is 19 October, just days before Israel&#8217;s general election on 27 October, making it much harder for any future government to overturn any tenders issued.<\/p>\n<p>Israel has built about 160 settlements housing 700,000 Jews since it occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem &#8211; land Palestinians want, along with Gaza, for a hoped-for future state &#8211; during the 1967 Middle East war. An estimated 3.3 million Palestinians live alongside them.<\/p>\n<p>Despite the fierce international opposition, successive Israeli governments have allowed settlements to grow.<br \/>\nHowever, expansion has risen sharply since Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu returned to power in late 2022 at the head of a right-wing, pro-settler coalition, as well as the start of the Gaza war, triggered by Hamas&#8217;s 7 October 2023 attack on Israel.<\/p>\n<p>Opponents of the E1 project have warned that it would effectively block the establishment of a Palestinian state because it would cut off the north of the West Bank from the south, and prevent the development in the centre of a contiguous Palestinian urban area connecting Ramallah, East Jerusalem and Bethlehem.<\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>BBC: Israel&#8217;s plans to open up tenders for the construction of some 1,200 settlement homes in a strategically important part of the occupied West Bank have sparked fresh condemnation by major Western powers. In a joint statement, the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada called the decision &#8220;unacceptable&#8221; and urged Israel to &#8220;retract the plans [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":1,"featured_media":53378,"comment_status":"open","ping_status":"open","sticky":false,"template":"","format":"standard","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[15],"tags":[],"class_list":["post-53377","post","type-post","status-publish","format-standard","has-post-thumbnail","hentry","category-world"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/53377"}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/1"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=53377"}],"version-history":[{"count":1,"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/53377\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":53379,"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/53377\/revisions\/53379"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/53378"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=53377"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=53377"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/nepalsamaj.com\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=53377"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}