WASHINGTON, Jan 3 (Reuters) – The U.S. has carried out strikes inside Venezuela, a U.S. official said, as explosions rocked the capital Caracas following months of threats by President Donald Trump against Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro.
The Venezuelan government said attacks also took place in the states of Miranda, Aragua and La Guaira, prompting Maduro to declare a national emergency and mobilize defense forces.
Blasts, aircraft and black smoke could be seen across Caracas from about 2 a.m. (0600 GMT) for roughly 90 minutes, according to Reuters witnesses and images circulating on social media.
Across the city, Venezuelans expressed shock and fear as they captured video of billowing smoke and bright orange flashes in the sky. “My love, oh no, look at that,” said one woman in a video, gasping at blasts in the distance.
A power outage affected the southern area of the city, near a major military base, witnesses said.
Trump has repeatedly promised land operations in the South American oil producer, which Maduro has led since 2013.
The U.S., Venezuela’s opposition and various other nations say Maduro rigged an election last year to stay in power.
Trump has not publicly detailed his aims but has privately pressured Maduro to flee the nation, Reuters has reported. Trump said on Monday it would be “smart” for Maduro to leave power.
